Position Title: Data Manager
Reports to: Data and Targeting Director
Duration: Temporary Position Aug 1 – Nov 30, 2020
Position: Full-time, exempt
Compensation: $4,000 – $4,500 per month. Benefits include health, dental, vision.
Our Oregon is seeking a well-organized and enthusiastic leader to serve as a full-time Data Manager for the 2020 election cycle. Our Oregon’s Data Manager will play a key role in the advancement of the progressive movement in the state. Our Oregon utilizes and offers its partner organizations a range of voter file, data, and targeting services. We seek an individual with a combination of technical and political skills to join our data department to support the management of these services and work with state partner groups and stakeholders in the progressive movement.
About Our Oregon
Our Oregon is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to advancing economic and social justice for all Oregonians – with a focus on ballot measures. Our Oregon is a key part of the progressive infrastructure in Oregon. Our work for the past ten years has preserved and increased funding for schools, expanded resources for critical services in our state, defeated attacks on working people, and brought together a coalition committed to expanding access to democracy. Our Oregon administers America Votes VAN and provides data support for 501(c)(4) organizations and issue campaigns in the state.
- Committed to winning elections. We know that winning and losing at the ballot box sends a signal so we need a slam dunk every time.
- Clear on the long term. While we have to win elections every cycle, we need to do it in a way that builds a strong coalition, builds power in our communities, has hard conversations when needed, and moves together.
- Justice focused. For too long, politicians have only listened to some Oregonians. We are committed to making sure that the voices of Black, Indignenous, people of color, LGBTQIA communities, workers and other groups in our state historically left out of decision making are at the table and heard.
This position is based in Portland, Oregon.
- Work with partner organizations using the voter file and other technologies to support, enhance, and execute programs.
- Support the Data Director in data presentation development. Must be comfortable visualizing data and summarizing findings using a variety of tools for a wide range of audiences.
- Work with consultants and other Our Oregon staff responsible for the acquisition, enhancement, manipulation, and management of voter and member data.
- Work with the state data director to manage voter file access for Our Oregon partner organizations. This includes administration and security, training end-users, and providing technical assistance as needed.
- Manage and enhance volunteer recruitment database, virtual predictive dialer, web- based programs, and text messaging programs.
- Support Our Oregon staff and partner groups as they develop campaign plans.
- Support and lead partner and organizational VAN and data trainings
- Support coalition coordination by monitoring benchmarks, providing technical assistance and identifying gaps in collective strategy.
- Commitment to service and problem-solving attitude.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, preferably in political or organizing settings.
- Candidates should have an understanding of common direct voter contact programs and experience using data to inform plans.
- Strong VAN or other database skills are required.
- Must be comfortable using spreadsheets, and should have a working knowledge of: pivot tables, filters, text to columns, and creating simple charts using Excel or a similar tool.
- Candidates must have a willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills.
- Excellent communication and time management skills, with attention to detail.
- Must be a self-starter willing to work long irregular ‘campaign-style’ hours and to travel as needed, especially during campaign season. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated history of persistence and resourcefulness in solving technical and data problems.
- Bilingual or multilingual
- Standout candidates will have experience with at least one of the following: Mapping tools (QGIS, etc), Visualization tools (Power BI, Tableau, Periscope, etc), SQL (comfortable with SELECT, WHERE, GROUPBY), R, Python, advanced Excel functions (VLOOKUP, SUMIF, INDEX(MATCH).
- Knowledge of and experience with Oregon political landscape and/or experience in organizing.
- Participate in promoting a positive workplace culture and relationships based on collaboration, innovation and respect
- Ability to establish effective working relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment
- Engage in equity trainings
How to Apply:
Candidate must submit the following to email@example.com
- A cover letter
- A resume
- Several references
Please include the following in the email subject line: Data Manager
Black, Indigenous, People of color, people with disabilities, queer, transgender, non-binary and gender non-conforming people strongly encouraged to apply. EOE.
The position will remain open until filled.