Our Oregon is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to advancing economic and social justice for all Oregonians – with a focus on ballot measures. Our Oregon is a key part of the progressive infrastructure in Oregon. Our work for the past ten years has preserved and increased funding for schools, expanded resources for critical services in our state, defeated attacks on working people, and brought together a coalition committed to expanding access to democracy. As job opportunities become available, we will post them on this page. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
——- Posting: January 23, 2020 ——–
Position Title: Political Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Duration: Regular Position
Position: Full-time, exempt
Compensation $55,000 – $75,000 DOE, full benefits and paid leave
Our Oregon is looking for a strategic and inspirational leader to join our team and lead our political and coalition efforts to advance social and economic justice for all Oregonians. The ideal candidate has experience leading teams and working collaboratively in a diverse coalition with community partners.
The ideal candidate brings direct experience working on a political or advocacy campaign and experience advancing gender and racial equity.
About Our Oregon
Our Oregon is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to advancing economic and social justice for all Oregonians – with a focus on ballot measures. Our Oregon is a key part of the progressive infrastructure in Oregon. Our work for the past ten years has preserved and increased funding for schools, expanded resources for critical services in our state, defeated attacks on working people,, and brought together a coalition committed to expanding access to democracy.
- Committed to winning elections. We know that winning and losing at the ballot box sends a signal so we need a slam dunk every time.
- Clear on the long term. While we have to win elections every cycle, we need to do it in a way that builds a strong coalition, builds power in our communities, has hard conversations when needed, and moves together.
- Justice focused. For too long, politicians have only listened to some Oregonians. We are committed to making sure that the voices of black, indignenous, people of color, LGBTQIA communities, workers and other groups in our state historically left out of decision making are at the table and heard.
The Political Director will lead our Political Team and provide strategic direction, direct electoral organizing and year-round civic engagement leadership for Our Oregon.
The Political Director will be responsible for developing and leading Our Oregon’s political and field strategy in collaboration with coalition partners. This work will include coordination with political allies, elected officials and staff, and serving as a liaison with formal and informal coalitions.
The Political Director will also serve as a leader and resource for coalition partners on Oregon’s initiative, referral and referendum process. They will lead Our Oregon’s Progressive Ballot Measure Coordination Table and will play a central role in key ballot measure campaigns.
The Political Director will help build political power, ensure we win at the ballot, and sustain successful grassroots campaigns beyond Election Day.
They will report directly to the Executive Director, serve on the senior leadership team and manage staff on a regular, seasonal basis.
- Develop and execute Our Oregon’s political strategic plan – including the systems, and processes required for successful implementation
- Provide content and skills-based organizing trainings and on-going consultation for partners and staff
- Serve as a liaison to and/or lead various coalition tables
- Work with Our Oregon’s Communication and Data Directors to inform and evaluate a comprehensive and coordinated advocacy and/or ballot measure campaign
- Manage staff and coordinate community partners to execute paid and volunteer field efforts
- Manage and maintain program/campaign budget
- Track and report program activities
- Support the Executive Director with advocacy and coalition activities in keeping with organizational mission and program goals, including creating and maintaining relationships with key community and elected leaders
- Provide political and strategic direction, mentorship and consultation for electoral ballot, GOTV, legislative and advocacy campaigns with staff and coalition partners
- Conduct all hiring-related and staff training activities of seasonal political and/or field staff
- Maintain irregular and long hours, and attend weekend and evening activities and be willing to travel.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and track record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, rural communities, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically oppressed communities
- Understanding of the principles of grassroots community and/or field organizing
- Experience in creating and implementing an organizing/field plan for either electoral or issue campaigns
- Experience directly managing or leading a diverse team
- Ability to thrive under pressure
- Excellent communication, reading, research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to interpersonal and political dynamics and details.
- Ability to work well independently and with a team
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
- Knowledge of Oregon’s political and electoral landscape and process
- Experience in leadership roles such as training, organizing, and coalition building
- Bilingual or multilingual
- Experience in issue research, analysis and advocacy
- Participate in promoting a positive workplace culture and relationships based on collaboration, innovation and respect
- Ability to establish effective working relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment
- Engage in equity trainings
How to Apply:
Candidate must submit the following to email@example.com
- A cover letter
- A resume
Please include the following in the email subject line: Political Director
The position will remain open until filled.